Just had to pay for that God-awful two month’s deposit + one month rent upfront for your new fancy condo? Maybe your hi-so better half just had a birthday and so you felt the need to impress him/her with an impromptu show of generosity resulting in a shopping spree at EmQuartier? Or perhaps Daddy’s wired deposits of love straight into your bank account have started to run a little dry?
For whatever reason, we have all been there: Broke AF in the city we call home – Bangkok. Here are 19 signs you’ve been there, done that, and, hopefully, got through it all to live to tell the tale. Or maybe you are still there…
1. Your weekly meal plan looks something like this
2. And when you get bored of noodles, Japanese night is always an option
3. You’re going to need a proper protein fix at some point, so a visit to this On Nut meat feast INSTITUTION is an obvious solution
4. Say hello to your new source of hydration
5. Supermarket shopping time – and a browse around Tops just feels depressing, especially when you catch a glimpse of that 10,000-baht-or-whatever-a-kilogram Jamón
6. But at least you can shamelessly fill up on their posh free samples…
7. Your pre-drinking game is all about of 4-pack of Chang and the steps of this rather no-thrills venue
8. Funky? Nope. Nang Len? Nope. DND? Don’t even think about it. Here’s a much better solution to start and end your night: Khao San!
9. You reschedule date night at the cinema for half-price Wednesdays
10. Getting groomed at the BTS is totally acceptable, just don’t have high expectations
11. Your view on the way to or from work looks something like this
12. Certain aspects of daily life get… ehhh… ‘put on hold’ shall we say
13. And you wish these bad boys actually become a legitimate currency
14. And this suddenly becomes part of your total net value
15. Plans for the weekend? Yep!
16. Finally pay day comes around and you be in Levels like
17. Aaannnnnnd then you’re back to square one 🙁